The submission period for Volume 12 of Delmarva Review, will be open from November 1, 2018 through March 31, 2019, for publication in October 2019. Editors read all submissions. All selections will be made by May 2019.
Please review these guidelines for submissions.
Founded in 2008, Delmarva Review is a literary journal dedicated to the discovery and publication of compelling new fiction, poetry, and creative nonfiction. Submissions from all writers are welcomed, regardless of residence. We publish annually, in both print and electronic editions, and promote activities to inspire readers and writers who pursue excellence in the literary arts.
What to Submit
We seek great storytelling, remarkable poetry, and creative nonfiction exhibiting skillful expression. Our editors appreciate the writer's ability to engage readers on more than one level. Specifically, we seek unsolicited, previously unpublished works as follows:
- Poetry – We seek memorable, evocative voices...poetry that keeps on giving.
- Fiction and flash fiction – Our preference is literary writing. While the lines between literary and genre fiction continue to narrow, we are less interested in formulaic or purely plot-driven writing. We are more interested in skillfully written, excellent storytelling that engages on multiple levels.
- Creative Nonfiction – Of special interest is the personal essay, memoir, and science or environmental writing (literary, narrative, non-technical).
- Book Reviews - Unlike most content of the journal, the book section is regional. We review books by writers from the Chesapeake and Delmarva region, by assignment only; if you wish to suggest a book for review or review a book for Delmarva Review, please contact the editor via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Artwork: Delmarva Review will consider photography or artwork for the cover from regional artists. Although we are much more than a regional publication, the cover art we seek derives from our namesake: the Delmarva Peninsula, an enchanting delta of wide open spaces and diverse ecosystems cradled between the ocean and the bay. Images should be submitted as a 300-dpi file attachment (.jpg or .tiff). The front cover format is: 6” x 9”and must accommodate the book’s title.
Please read our current and past issues to familiarize yourself with the publication.
We do not publish academic papers, religious or political commentary. Our publishing timeline typically doesn’t lend itself to breaking news and current events. Our focus is on excellent writing.
How to Submit
Please note: submissions not following our guidelines will be automatically declined without explanation.
Please use the link at the bottom of this page for all submissions.
We will only consider pieces submitted electronically via Submittable, a submissions-management system. Our editors review work on a rolling basis, so early submissions are encouraged. While you may hear from us within a month, we often hold pieces longer to consider compatibility for the issue as it develops. We respond to all authors. Due to the large number of submissions, we strive to respond to all writers by May.
Submitted material must be unpublished.
We will consider simultaneous submissions, but you should inform us immediately if the work has been accepted by another publication.
Please edit your work with care. You may want to refer to the current edition of The Chicago Manual of Style, our preferred style and usage guide.
A cover letter is not required. If you submit one, however, you should use Submittable’s cover letter field to help accommodate our blind-reading process.
- Poetry: up to 6 poems per submission period, no more than 50 lines each
- Fiction: 1 piece per submission period, no more than 5,000 words
- Flash fiction: up to 2 pieces per submission period, up to 1,000 words each
- Creative nonfiction: 1 piece per submission period, no more than 5,000 words
Fiction and nonfiction submissions must be double-spaced and formatted in a 12-point font (preferably Times New Roman or similar). Please number the pages of prose submissions.
Poetry should be single-spaced. Please send multiple poems in one attachment.
Short Book Reviews
Reviews are by assignment only. If you wish to suggest a book for review or review a book for Delmarva Review, please contact the editor via email at: email@example.com.
No Submission Fee
There is no submission fee.
Terms of Publication
By accepting publication, the author grants Delmarva Review one-time publishing rights for print, electronic, and anthology editions as well as on the website and for promotional materials. The author retains copyright and may publish the submission elsewhere after it appears in Delmarva Review. We would appreciate a “first published in” credit, which we honor with other publications
By accepting publication, the author gives Delmarva Review the right to publish the work on our website to archive it indefinitely as part of the issue in which it appeared, and to be included in future anthologized print or electronic editions of our publication. (Note: In some cases, we may elect to re-feature archived work; this does not constitute a new publication.)
If your work is selected, payment will be two contributor’s copies of the publication. You will also receive a discount on multiple orders of the issue.
If Your Work is Not Selected
Do not despair! Currently, we publish once a year, which makes our process very competitive. We may pass on some work that exhibits considerable strength and talent but simply won’t fit our current issue. Rejection should never discourage you from sharing your work and continuing to write. We want to encourage you to do both, with passion!